Sunday, August 1, 2010

Humane to Humanity

As you may have noticed (or maybe you didn't notice), I took a bit of a hiatus. As they said in Poltergeist (slight paraphrase): "He's baaa-aack." I do have a few topics in mind, but I have been thinking about how to approach them with the sensitivity the topics call for. Racism is an example - did you seriously think it's dead and gone? Someone may need to help me out with this, but is DWB still an offense that will get you pulled over? But, as I said, I'm still sifting my thoughts on this. I'm not sure anyone - and I stress ANYONE - can claim innocence on this, least of all me.

Someone, in response to some earlier comments of mine, posted an article from Human Events on Facebook. Their comment: "For those who don't know what's happening in Arizona." I guess that was me. I'm not giving away anything you couldn't tell, but here's my bias: if your source is Human Events, you have no source. In this instance, Human Events simply published the Arizona law as passed and signed, showing modifications. I guess the part we were supposed to see was where it said that the officers are to pay no attention whatever to the race of the person being investigated.

Please - this isn't comedy. It really says that. So, if an Arizona law enforcer pulls over an Anglo, and this person does not have their drivers license, I am eager to see said Anglo taken in for investigation of immigration status. Oh, you don't think so? I don't either. I think said Anglo would get a ticket for driving without a license, and would have a court date. And that's it and that's all.

If the person pulled over was Hispanic - same offense, just forgot their driver's license - and spoke with an accent, that's when the full-fledged "papers please" process starts. There is, you see, "reasonable suspicion."

And, if it turns out that the Anglo is a citizen of another country who has overstayed her visa, and that the Hispanic is a U.S. citizen whose family has been there since long before Caucasian eyes saw the place - "Gee, sorry for the inconvenience."

So, I saw the part about race not being a consideration. You believe that? There's a bridge I want to sell you.

In today's Quad City Times there's an article about deportations of people who have been here, sometimes for years, often involving separation of families. Someone responded to another earlier comment of mine by pointing out that there is a petition process for such a situation. The reality on the ground: That petition process may take years. The family may be separated by deportation while in mid-process. Once the deportation has occurred the petition may become a dead letter.

My position is, I realize, subject to distortion. I see the ongoing flood across the border as a significant problem, and I would have little problem with the building of the fence. (I do, however, take issue with those who would want to find the money to build the fence, but can't see their way to extending unemployment benefits.)

But, for someone who has been here 20 years, who have families, whose other family members are U.S. citizens, isn't there some more humane way to deal with their status?

I would hope and pray so.

No comments:

Post a Comment