Saturday, April 16, 2011

Reflections - apologies - repentance

We have come to the start of Holy Week. Holy Week starts with Palm Sunday, on which we observe the occasion of Jesus' entry into Jerusalem. It has all the marks of a triumphal entry - people shouting, palms waving - but the triumph is later shown to be illusory. On Holy Thursday Jesus is arrested. That night - the trial. As unfair, as rigged as the trial was, it leads to Good Friday and the Crucifixion. It's entirely possible that some of the same people who were shouting "Hosanna!" the loudest on Palm Sunday were even louder in shouting "Crucify Him!" on Good Friday.

Holy Week is the culmination of Lent. Lent starts on Ash Wednesday and, technically speaking, ends with the beginning of the Holy Thursday evening Mass. The beginning of that Mass starts three days - the Triduum - that form a liturgical season by themselves. Three days - Holy Thursday, Good Friday, and extending until the Easter Vigil Mass on Saturday - that are the most holy, most sacred of seasons. Roman Catholics observe this; most Protestants do to some extent, and Eastern Orthodox do, although their calendar is usually about a week different from the Western calendar.

Lent, for these Christians, is a season of intensified reflection, repentance, prayer, almsgiving. Christians are not unique in observing such seasons. For Jews, this closely parallels the Days of Awe, the ten days between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. For Muslims, Ramadan resembles actions taken during Lent, although the purpose is (slightly!) different.

Lent. A time to get right with God, and with each other. Among other things. And so, since a lot of people who are very important to me may see this, I want to make right with you whatever I may have made wrong.

In the political realm, I am a liberal. Many of my friends and relatives are not. I do believe in healthy and vigorous debate, and I have no problem with the fact that others are not on the same side of issues as I. I have no apologies to make for my stance. However, if I have let it become personal, please know that I don't think of it that way. Please know that, if I have seemed dismissive of your positions - if I have seemed to not take your position seriously - that has not been my intention. I do take you seriously; you are every bit the patriot that I am, and you love our country every bit as much as I. I apologize if I have given the impression that I think otherwise. I served in the Navy so we could be free to differ with one another (OK, I didn't do that all by myself, but you get the idea.) I am deeply sorry if I have left the impression that I think there's only one position to take, and that's mine.

On the personal level, I get a bit pedantic at times. ("A BIT pedantic, Rick? Is the ocean a BIT wet?") To those whom I have put off by this tendency, to those to whom I have given offense, I sincerely apologize. I have been guilty of Hamartaeia. It's Greek, it literally means "missing the mark", and in the New Testament it is translated as "sin". If I have done any of this to any of you, please accept my apology.

On a societal level and on an environmental level, I am sorry for any part that I have played in perpetuating or even creating injustice in my little corner of the world. I am sorry for not having taken a strong enough stance to remove some of the injustice that exists. Please know that I am trying to make this better.

I confess to Almighty God,
And to you, my brothers and sisters,
That I have sinned through my own fault,
In my thoughts and in my words,
In what I have done and in what I have failed to do,
And I ask Blessed Mary, Ever Virgin,
All the angels and saints
And you, my brothers and sisters,
To pray for me to the Lord our God.

Thanks for hanging out for a few. I'd love to see your thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment