Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Rosh HaShana

L'shanah tovah! To a good year!

Tonight at sundown starts Rosh HaShana. It's commonly called the Jewish New Year, but the observance of this New Year holiday bears no resemblance to the noisy Bacchanalia that marks December 31 (or the regrets that follow on January 1) or the explosive celebration of the Chinese New Year. Tonight at sundown it will be the first day of the month Tishri in the year 5771.

Tonight at sundown - in these parts, just a few moments from now - starts Rosh HaShanah. It begins a ten-day period of somber reflection, of the recognition of where we have gone wrong - of resolving to do better. Christians who observe Lent will recognize the parallels. After the ten days, the Days of Awe, comes Yom Kippur and the party of all parties. But for now - reflect, repent, resolve to do better.

In that spirit, my apologies. I apologize if, at any time, I have belittled you, made you feel less than the wonderful human being, worthy of all respect, that I think you are. To my family, I am sorry for the times that I have been either emotionally or physically absent when I was needed. To my coworkers, both inside and outside of my company, I deeply regret all the times I have let you down, not been or done as you expected. To my friends, I deeply value your friendship, and I am sorry for every instance in which I have disappointed.

On a personal level, the upcoming weeks are a somber time for me, absent any religious consideration. Between September 12 and October 2 are the anniversaries of my Mom's death, my Dad's birthday, my mother-in-law's death and my Dad's passing. I try very hard to remain approachable during these weeks, but I know that I can be a bit more waspish than usual, more distant, less communicative. Again, I apologize to you if this affects you.

"Happy Rosh HaShanah" would be a terribly inappropriate greeting for this day. More common is the phrase I opened with: L'Shanah tovah. That's a short version of "L'Shanah tovah tikatev v'taihatem": "May you be inscribed and sealed for a good year".

So, from me to any who are reading, my wish for you: L'Shanah tovah tikatev v'taihatem.

Peace, and thanks for hanging out for a few!

No comments:

Post a Comment